June 1, 1886, Alleghany Springs Hotel was officially opened for
business. As was the custom of that period, a lookout tower and
flagpole topped the building. There were gas lights, electric call
bells and a bathroom on each floor. The bath house, near the spring
afforded hot and cold baths.
parlor was on the second floor. It was luxuriously furnished in
golden brown upholstered love-seats, divans and chairs. The prisms
on the crystal chandeliers reflected rainbows over the rosewood
piano, the Brussels carpet and the rich brocade drapes. Bedstands,
marble topped washstands, dressers and tables of Walnut were used
throughout the hotel, except for the bridal suite, which was furnished
in Cherry. In fact, all of the appointments of the hotel were the
very best for that day.
ballroom, on the ground floor could accomodate fifty to one hundred
couples and had ample room for the orchestra and spectators.
the office, there was a large safe which required seven or eight
yokes of oxen to haul it up the mountain. This safe was used to
store valuables, which included several dozen sets of table silver,
a large silver pitcher and dozens of silver goblets, as well as
large serving pieces.
was good for several years and guests came from as far away as Memphis
and Arkansas. The remains of the safe and fragments of the guest
register are all that survived the fire which destroyed the hotel
The Maryville Daily Times
August 2, 1886
Allegheny Springs are located high on the mountains from
which they derive their name. They are situated 14 miles
Maryville, the terminus of the Knoxville & Augusta R.R.
TO THE INVALID
The scenery and healthfulness of these Springs surpasses
anything in the South. For pure air and pleasant nights has
To those who are suffering with liver, kidney, bowel and
nervous diseases, chronic chills or malarial affections,
those originating in the South and debilities originating
from acute diseases, diseases of children and any female
rheumatism, neuralgia, etc., having three kinds of water;
iron, (sulpher) and a spring known as the "Eye Spring," for
all diseases acute or chronic.
TO THE PLEASURE SEEKER
Ample provisions will be made for dancing to the accompaniment
of stringed instruments or piano. First-class croquet grounds.
Fishing and boating near the hotel. Other amusements are fully
The Hotel, new and spacious, sufficient to accomodate three
to four hundred guests is heated with gas. The bath house
has hot and cold water. Electric call bells and a fire alarm.
A daily Mail Hack will be run from Maryville to the Springs
with ample bus accomodations for passengers seeking accomodations
at the hotel, or to persons desiring to see the fine scenery
of the region.
There will be a competent physician to attend to the wants
of the sick.
The Allegheny Springs were opened June 1st, 1886, this being
the first time the springs have been opened to the public.
We desire to bring to the attention of those who seek health
and pleasure the opportunity to test the merits of those springs.
RATES OF BOARD
Per Day $2.00
Per week $5.00
Per month $40.00
*Special rates to families